- Phone: (610)-776-7301
- Mailing Address: 1151 S. Cedar Crest Blvd.
- Allentown, PA 18103
Lehigh Christian Academy strives to provide a quality Christ-centered education that meets the needs of the whole child - spiritual, academic, physical, social, and developmental even in the midst of the pandemic. The board, administration, and staff feel that we can safely provide in-school instruction every day due to the facilities and our student population. This fall we will implement procedures, as much as humanly possible, to guard our students, families, and staff physically as well as to protect from any outside entities who might try to seek closures or fines. Our plan includes steps for remote-learning should that be needed for quarantined staff and/or students. This plan will be reviewed regularly for unforeseen situations with this ever-changing virus. It is our prayer that you, parents, will partner with us to protect our community and our school. It is only with this partnership and the Lord’s grace and mercy that we can continue to minister to these precious souls. We know that our faith is in our Lord, and fear has no hold on us!
● Staff will complete daily temperature checks and a screening form.
● Visitors/Volunteers will have temperatures checked by staff and complete a screening document upon arrival.
● Students will have their temperatures checked by staff upon arrival.
● Arrival Locations:
- PreK - 5th Grade at Door #2
- 6th - 12th Grade at Door #3 (double doors)
● We ask that all students be dropped off and parents limit entering the building. However, if parents need to enter the building to help younger students, (PreK - 2nd grade students), we ask you that you enter the building with your child at the office for screening and temperature check.
● For all screening measures:
○ Second temperature checks will be taken to verify high temperature readings.
○ Second level screenings in case of high temperature (smell test) will be administered.
○ Use hand sanitizer before entering the building.
○ Students/Staff who have temperatures of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher will be asked to return home.
○ Students/Staff who have the following multiple symptoms within 14 days should not enter the building.
■ Fever of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or greater, runny nose, cough, beyond what you normally experience, shortness of breath, headache beyond what you normally experience, loss of taste or smell, diaherra, and/or vomiting
● Daily cleaning by the custodial staff of the entire building and after any possible usage by church groups throughout the day.
● Cleaning Team (LCA staff) will clean high frequency areas every 2-hours (ie railings, bathrooms and communal areas.)
● Teachers will clean classrooms throughout the day and classroom items as needed while limiting communal items until sanitized.
● MS/HS teachers will use a cleaning routine and schedule between classes with the students assistance as needed.
● Gym and playground equipment/toys will be rotated and cleaned.
● Students will routinely hand wash and/or sanitize.
● Teachers will instruct students on effective hygiene practices (ie sneezing/coughing into the elbow.)
● Touchless hand sanitizer stations will be placed throughout the school.
● Hand sanitizer will be available in classrooms without sinks.
● Water fountains are closed; students need to bring a filled water bottle daily.
● Water stations will be provided in classrooms without sinks. (disposable water jugs & bottles)
● Students will eat lunch in classrooms.
● Prepackaged food will be available for a nominal fee to those students who forget lunch (ie crackers).
● Desks will be placed 3’ to 6’ feet apart in 1st to 12th grade classrooms.
● PreK and Kindergarten will be spaced within classrooms and the tables at the recommended distance as above.
● Full-day PreK and Kindergarten will be spaced for napping accordingly and separate monitored rooms will be used if needed.
● We will utilize larger areas of the building with groups over 25 students and/or divide students into smaller groups.
● No lockers used will be used at this time.
○ PreK- 5th Grade - books and supplies in desks or classroom “cubbies”
○ 1st - 5th Grade - store books in lockers on Fridays for church use of rooms
○ 6th - 12th Grade students use backpacks - no books but workbooks to be carried (textbooks remain in classrooms) and ChromeBooks.
● Entry points and arrival times - students go right to classrooms upon arrival
○ PreK - 5th Grade - Door #2, 7:45 AM - 8:25 AM - Classes start at 8:30 AM.
○ 6th - 12th Grade - Door #3, 7:45 AM - 8:10 AM - Homeroom begins at 8:15 AM.
○ Late arrivals must “buzz” in at the Main Office entrance.
● One- way traffic and/or staggered traffic will be used.
● Secondary students will use the hallway by the Main Office to attend upstairs elective/special classes (tech, art, gym and bus dismissal in the Activity Center.)
● Secondary students will use the main stairway and side door for math class in Room 101.
● Library class for PreK- 4th grade will be upstairs.
● Teachers will be utilizing outside learning as feasible.
● Elementary breaks will be staggered and in smaller sizes.
● Staff will wear masks if distancing is not feasible such as moving in the hallways, afternoon dismissal, and temperature screenings; face shields will be provided for staff use in order to allow facial expression for teaching
● Visitors/Volunteers will wear masks where distancing is not feasible such as hallways, etc.
● Elementary students in PreK to fifth grade will not be required to wear a mask. However, please have a mask with your child in case distancing is not feasible.
● Secondary students (6th - 12th Grade) will be asked to wear masks in the hallway when moving between classes and where distancing is not feasible.
● Staff will honor parents’ requests for their child to wear masks throughout the day.
● An opt-out request for your child not to wear a mask must be on file in the Main office.
● All staff, visitors/volunteers, and students will be asked to wear a mask if exhibiting signs of COVID, coughing, and/or fever. (Please see procedures below.)
● Please be sensitive and encouraging to personal preferences in wearing masks.
● Google Suite and Apps will be utilized for in-school and remote learning scenarios.
● Google Meet will be used to access streaming into the classroom from home.
○ PreK - 5th Grade students’ parents will be given access to their child’s Google Suite, and Google classroom will be used for each subject area and special class for announcements and work. The Google Meet will be linked to that classroom for each subject. (ie 1st grade reading, 1st grade math)
○ 6th - 12th grade students will be given access through students’ email accounts (as usual) per each assigned class.
● Students will be following the classroom schedule during remote learning; attendance will be taken; assessments will be given in all classes and graded as per the classroom rubrics.
● Excuse notes are required if a student is sick during the remote learning scenario. Please communicate frequently with your child’s teacher during this time. Make up work for sick students is the same as per our policy. (For example, if a student is absent for two days, the child has two days to complete work.)
● Quarantine staff will be able to teach remotely via Google Meet to the students in the classroom if needed with another staff member present in the classroom.
● In case of the closure of school, students will follow the classroom and rotating day schedule as established.
● School-wide communication, forms, and grades will still be through RenWeb.
● Remote Learning Requests for COVID-related issues must be submitted to administration for the students in order for the teacher to plan for his/her work.
● In case of streaming issues, the lesson would be recorded for the remote learning scenario. Attendance will be monitored for each part of the day in which the students will be attending. It is vital to communicate as much as possible during this time.
Procedure for COVID exposure
● The area(s) affected will be deep cleaned by an outside cleaning company.
● Anyone with a confirmed positive COVID test result should be quarantined the recommended time or until cleared by a doctor.
● Please report to the school any positive cases in order to take the necessary precautions.
● Students/Staff/Volunteers who have been in contact with a confirmed or probable (symptomatic, but not tested, or awaiting results) COVID-19 individual should not attend school for the recommended quarantine period.
Procedure for sick students with fever and/or fever with cough
● Please monitor your child’s temperature and symptoms before sending to school.
● Please keep your child at home if your child has any symptoms.
○ Return to school: fever-free for 24-hours without fever-reducing aid (as per original policy)
○ Doctor’s note is required after 3 consecutive days (as per original policy.)
○ A parental excuse note for 1-2 days must include reason for absence.
● If screened and fever is present during school hours, students will be masked and asked to sit in a monitored area to await parent pick up (as per original policy.)
○ A student will be able to return to school either after the recommended quarantine period or doctor’s note.
● Dismissal Locations (traffic patterns will be the same as usual - proceed to the left of the building and continue to your child’s location for pick up.)
○ Bus dismissal students will be in the activity center and dismiss through Door 2. (Please see your home district’s policy for COVID-19 procedures.)
○ PreK and Kindergarten -Please park in the small parking lot by Door 8. Parents come to the door for pick up. Please have your Dismissal Card to show to the staff member at the door.
○ 1st to 8th Grade students will be picked up outside in the main parking lot. Dismissal Cards must be displayed in the front window, and a staff member will walk your child to your car.
○ High School students will be picked up in the Activity Center lot, and the students will be walking out by the church offices, Door 4A.
○ Signing out policy and in case of forgotten Dismissal Card:
■ Please park in LCA’s main lot. A staff member will be outside the office doors and have your child sent up. (Staff will be outside starting at 3:10 PM. Please do not block the roadway.)
○ Please make sure our staff knows of transportation changes before 2:45 PM as per original policy.
● No outside field trips unless distancing can be done.
● Fall athletics will be based on our league’s protocols and decisions
● Elementary and Secondary chapels and assemblies will be in the Activity Center.
● Streaming will also be utilized with outside groups.
● The Worship Center will be used once the church construction is completed (late fall.)
● CDC Guidelines
● ACSI (Association of Christian School International) Guidelines
● American Association of Pediatrics
● Association of American Physicians and Surgeons
● The New England Journal of Medicine
● Raymour & Flanigan COVID- 19 Plan
Tim Sebastian - Board Chair
Elizabeth Hauser - Head of School
Sharon Potteiger - Assistant Principal
Tammy Brooks - Business Manager
Kim Van Aken - Acting Guidance Counselor
Kathy Reif - MS/HS Science Teacher
Rachel Potteiger - Athletic Director
John Jessen (Consultant) - Lieutenant Commander, Navy; parent, part-time teacher